Looking for some awesome beach quotes for that next Instagram post? Well, you’ve come to the right place, because I’ve compiled an awesome list of fun and unique beach quotes, sayings, and phrases that are guaranteed to evoke emotion!
Sometimes a great quote can speak the words we just can’t find. The beach casts a spell over everyone who sets foot on it. Sun, sea and sand are a powerful cure-all for so many of life’s obstacles!
My list of the best 77 beach quotes, lyrics and movie lines sum up just why the sea is so important to all of us.
The 77 Best Beach Quotes
The beach is a magical place. These quotes from the greatest wordsmiths on the power of the ocean are beautiful and poetic. Hope you like them and find what you’re looking for!
The Best Quotes About The Beach
1) “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” – Jacques Cousteau
2) “The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul.” – Robert Wyland
3) “Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.” – Robert Henri
What do you think about when you’re wandering along the beach?
4) “When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
5) “Because there’s nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it’s sent away.” – Sarah Kay
6) “At the beach, life is different. Time doesn’t move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.” – Sandy Gingras
7) “There was a magic about the sea. People were drawn to it. People wanted to love by it, swim in it, play in it, look at it. It was a living thing that was as unpredictable as a great stage actor: it could be calm and welcoming, opening its arms to embrace its audience one moment, but then could explode with its stormy tempers, flinging people around, wanting them out, attacking coastlines, breaking down islands.” – Cecelia Ahern
What beach does this quote describe for you? A Thai island paradise? A Hawaiian surging hotspot? An African escape?
8) “Beaches are territories of dreams. They are our favorite refuges; they are a protectorate for the soul during spring, summer, autumn, and winter. They shed our tears, and they hear our pain.” – Unknown
9) “In every outthrust headland, in every curving beach, in every grain of sand there is the story of the earth.” – Rachel Carson
Celebrity Quotes About The Beach
The stars love the beach just as much as us common folk. These celebrity beach quotes express how much being close to the ocean means to them.
10) “I love the beach. I love the sea. All my life I live within – in front of the sea.” – Rafael Nadal
11) “If there’s a heaven for me, I’m sure it has a beach attached to it.” – Jimmy Buffett
12) “The ocean makes me feel really small and it makes me put my whole life into perspective.” – Beyoncé
I can only assume Beyoncé owns a few private beaches of her own…
13) “My dream is to have a house on the beach, even just a little shack somewhere so I can wake up, have coffee, look at dolphins, be quiet and breathe the air.” – Christina Applegate
14) “We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it be to sail or to watch – we are going back to whence we came.” – John F. Kennedy
15) “Summer means happy times and good sunshine. It means going to the beach.” – Brian Wilson
16) “At night, when the sky is full of stars and the sea is still you get the wonderful sensation that you are floating in space.” – Natalie Wood
17) “On the beach, you can live in bliss.” – Dennis Wilson
If a beach boy doesn’t love the beach, what chance do any of us have?
18) “The beach is definitely where I feel most at home. It’s my oxygen. I forget how much I need it sometimes when I’m away working.” – Behati Prinsloo
19) “It’s like, imagine the ripples on top of an ocean. And I’m in a rowboat, reactively dealing with the waves and water coming into my boat. What I need to do is dive into the deeper solace, the calmness beneath the surface.” – Dr Oz
Short Quotes About The Beach
Short and sweet, these quotes sum up why the beach is so special in just a few words.
20) “Time wasted at the beach is time well spent.” – Unknown
21) “Sky above, sand below, peace within.” – Unknown
And don’t forget a cocktail in hand…
22) “An ocean breeze puts a mind at ease.” – Unknown
23) “All you need is a good dose of vitamin sea.” – Unknown
24) “We dream in colors borrowed from the sea.” – Unknown
25) “Don’t grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.” – Michelle Held
26) “The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea.” – Isak Dinesen
… and a salted Margherita glass at the ready, of course.
27) “Eternity begins and ends with the ocean’s tides.” – Unknown
28) “May you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes.” – Unknown
Beach Sunset Quotes & Instagram Captions
There’s nothing like a beach sunset to inspire and enchant. These beach sunset quotes summarise perfectly why watching the sun disappear over the horizon is so special.
29) “Every sunset brings the promise of a new dawn.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
30) “The sky takes on shades of orange during sunrise and sunset, the color that gives you hope that the sun will set only to rise again.” – Ram Charan
31) “When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.” – Mahatma Gandhi
32) “One day, all your worries will set like the sun does and deserved happiness will come gushing like waves at the beach. All you need to make sure is that your trips to the beach never end.” – Jasleen Kaur Gumber
I guarantee my trips to the beach will never end – I just need a suitcase of SPF and I’m there. #gingerproblems
33) “If you are in a beautiful place where you can enjoy the sunrise and sunset, then you are living like a lord.” – Nathan Phillips
34) “I’m always up for a riot, but now and again, you’ve gotta put your feet up and enjoy the sunset.” – Pete Doherty
35) “Get outside. Watch the sunrise. Watch the sunset. How does that make you feel? Does it make you feel big or tiny? Because there’s something good about feeling both.” – Amy Grant
36) “To go out with the setting sun on an empty beach is to truly embrace your solitude.” – Jeanne Moreau
Which beach would you happily spend solo time at?
Funny Beach Quotes & Instagram Captions
These punny and funny quotes about the beach are giggle-worthy snapshots into why we all love being by the sea.
37) “Advice from the Ocean: Be shore of yourself. Come out of your shell. Take time to coast. Avoid pier pressure. Sea life’s beauty. Don’t get so tide down on work that you miss out on life’s beautiful waves.” – Unknown
I’ll add, insult anyone who says any different!
38) “The beach is a great place to relieve the soul-crushing stress you build up in the traffic going to the beach.” – Unknown
39) “How to have a beach body: 1. Have a body 2. Go to the beach.” – Unknown
40) “The beach is cheaper than therapy.” – Unknown
41) “If you need me, call me on my shell.” – Unknown
You used to call me on my shell phone… you used to, you used to…
42) “Please excuse my resting beach face.” – Unknown
43) “No one likes a shady beach.” – Unknown
44) “That little sun of a beach.” – Unknown
45) “Love the beach. Can I be any more Pacific?” – Unknown
Beach Instagram Captions
These Instagram captions about the beach will explain your next epic seaside sojourn to your followers with the perfect words.
46) “I followed my heart, and it led me to the beach.” – Unknown
47) “An ocean breeze puts a mind at ease.” – Unknown
And a crate of beach beer makes it all crystal clear?
48) “Sky above, sand below, peace within.” – Unknown
49) “B.E.A.C.H.: Best Escape Anyone Can Have.” – Unknown
50) “Sandy toes. Sunkissed nose.” – Unknown
51) “The tans will fade but memories will last forever.” – Unknown
Which beach have you most fond memories been made at?
52) “Good vibes and high tides.”
53) “Fresh to depth.” – Unknown
54) “Shake your palm palms.” – Unknown
Song Lyrics About the Beach
The beach is a source of inspiration for songwriters all over the world. These beach lyrics will be the soundtrack of your summer.
55) “Off the Florida Keys, there’s a place called Kokomo / That’s where you want to go to get away from it all / Bodies in the sand, tropical drink melting in your hand / We’ll be falling in love to the rhythm of a steel drum band…Down in Kokomo.” – Kokomo, The Beach Boys
There are few movies or soundtracks that encapsulate beach life like Cocktail… young/sane Tom Cruise was epic…
56) “Hark, now hear the sailors cry / smell the sea, and feel the sky / let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic.” – Into the Mystic, Van Morrison
57) “Even castles made of sand fall to the ocean.” – Castles Made Of Sand, Jimi Hendrix
58) “Got my toes in the water, ass in the sand, not a worry in the world.” – Toes, Zac Brown Band
59) You don’t have to stray / The oceans away / Waves roll in my thoughts / Hold tight the ring / The sea will rise / Please stand by the shore / I will be, I will be there once more.” – Oceans, Pearl Jam
60) “I wanna go to the beach / I don’t care if it’s decadent / I don’t know where my spirit went / But that’s alright.” – I Want to Go to the Beach, Iggy Pop
61) “She swam by me she got a cramp / He ran by me got my suit damp / I saved her life she nearly drowned / He showed off splashing around / Summer sun somethings begun, but oh oh the summer nights.” – Summer Nights, John Travolta and Olivia Newton John
62) “I keep on hoping we’ll eat cake by the ocean.” – Cake By The Ocean, DNCE
63) “If everybody had an ocean / Across the U. S.A / Then everybody’d be surfin’ / Like Californi-a.” – The Beach Boys
What band is more synonymous with the beach life than The Beach Boys? An entire lifetime of songs dedicated to beach vibes.
64) “We would shout and swim about the coral that lies beneath the waves / (Lies beneath the ocean waves) / Oh what joy for every girl and boy / Knowing they’re happy and they’re safe / (Happy and they’re safe)” – Octopus’s Garden, The Beatles
65) “There must be something in the water / Sippin’ gin and juice / Laying underneath the palm trees…” – California Girls, Katy Perry
66) “Nibbling on sponge cake, watching the sun bake / All of those tourists covered with oil / Strumming my six string, on my front porch swing / Smell those shrimp, they’re beginning to boil.” – Margaritaville, Jimmy Buffett
67) “I’m sittin’ on the dock of the bay / Watchin’ the tide, roll away / I’m sittin’ on the dock of the bay / Wastin’ time.” – The Dock of the Bay, Otis Redding
Movie Quotes About The Beach
The beach is the perfect setting for a film, and has inspired some memorable movie lines. These beach movie quotes will populate your playlist with some must-watch cinematic experiences.
68) “Surfing’s the source man… swear to God.” – Point Break
69) “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” – Jaws
70) “Trust me, it’s paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven’t tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It’s probably worth it.” – The Beach
I wonder how many people were inspired by The Beach to run away to an island paradise? You can visit the island Leo and friends call home in Thailand for yourself! It’s called Phi Phi Island.
71) “Whether you like to surf, or sail, or surf a sailboat… Hawaii, even in the winter, is truly a land of an endless summer.” – The Endless Summer
72) “I saw him beat up a guy with a starfish.” – Forgetting Sarah Marshall
73) “And I know what I have to do now. I got to keep breathing. Because tomorrow, the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?” – Castaway
74) “What happened to the Danny Zuko I met at the beach?” – Grease
75) “Mexico. Little place right on the Pacific. You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific? They say it has no memory. That’s where I’d like to finish out my life, Red. A warm place with no memory. Open a little hotel right on the beach. Buy some worthless old boat and fix it up like new. Take my guests out charter fishing.” – The Shawshank Redemption
Did you know that the Mexican coastal paradise Andy spoke of escaping to in The Shawshank Redemption is a real place where people flocked to after the film’s release? It’s called Zihuatanejo, and it’s a couple of hours from Acapulco.
76) “Best of all, though, one week of the year, you’d get to leave the hospital and go here. Plum Island. Every day of that week, you may walk on the beach. You may swim in the ocean for up to one hour.” – The Silence of the Lambs
Even Hannibal Lector needed a beach escape from time to time…
77) “These waves are for the big boys.” – Blue Crush
Am I Missing Any Popular Beach Quotes or Perfect Beach Instagram Captions?
This list really could have gone on for quite some time, as the beach is obviously a popular place to write about, sing about, and visit! If you think there is a specific beach quote or fun Instagram caption idea that discusses the beach, please do let me know! I’d love to keep this post about beach quotes as up-to-date as possible!
Looking for more quotes or travel inspiration?
My travelblog is filled tons of articles like destination guides, things to do, places to visit, music festivals, accommodation guides, and so much more! I’d love for you to take a look through a few of my favorite articles below, and feel free to reach out with any questions you have!
- The Best 50 Explore Quotes To Inspire Your Next Adventure
- The 40 Best Festival Quotes to Inspire Your Next Adventure
- Flashpacking Finland | My Northern Lights Bucket List Adventure
- LA to San Diego Drive | 15 Must Visit Places in Southern California
- The 12 Safest Countries to Visit in Africa
- 10 Days in Italy Itinerary | How to Plan the Perfect Italian Vacation
- 30 Music Festivals in Australia To Experience Before You Die
- The 20 Best Paris Hotels with Eiffel Tower View
- 40 Wild Parties in 40 Countries To Experience Before You’re 40
- The Ultimate BALI Itinerary | The Best Places to Visit & Things to Do
- Top 20 Singapore Rooftop Pool Hotels
- The 20 Best Beaches in Malaysia To Visit Before You Die
- The Deccan Odyssey | The Luxurious India Train Journey for the Bucket List
- 2018 In Review | The Most Epic Year of Travel & Festivals
- The Ultimate Music Festival Camping Packing List
- Top 25 Tips For Backpacking Thailand
- The Ultimate SYDNEY Itinerary | How to Spend 4-7 Days Exploring Sydney, Australia