Planning a trip through Malaysia and want to know the best places to stay in Penang? Well, look no further, because I’ve put together the ultimate Penang accommodation guide with the best areas, hostels, hotels, luxury resorts, and Airbnbs Penang has to offer!
Pulau Penang is a beautiful island province off the coast of Bukit Mertajam in Malaysia. Only 8 miles across by 16 miles long, this smallish island is packed full of fantastic places to visit and things to do in Penang.
When looking for a hotel in Penang, your search could take you from George Town beach to Teluk Bahang and the Nature Reserve. To put it lightly, you’re spoilt for choice. You’re going to need a guide, to help give you some valuable insight into the various areas around the island you may be considering. Whether it’s in the urban city or out on the quiet beaches, you’ll find your best place to stay in Penang here!
Map of Penang
The capital of Penang is a vibrant and colorful hub that spans the eastern parts of the island. If you’re considering where to stay in George Town, Penang, then expect lots of options. The city was founded as the primary trading site along the Straits of Malacca and has since become the home for many different cultures.
From Chinese shops to old British colonial homes, the spectrum is vast in the capital, making it an ever-eventful experience for first-timers.
Best Places To Stay in Georgetown, Penang
- SkyHome Two Penang Accommodation (AIRBNB) – The SkyHome Two is a studio Airbnb situated in the heart of George Town, boasting magnificent sea views and an upscale apartment block in The Tropicana. It’s a modern, clean and breezy stay above the city skyline. And at a great price. Make use of the guest facilities such as the gym, multicolored pool, and recreational area.
- Tipsy Tiger Party Hostel (Hostel) – In the heart of George Town is the Tipsy Tiger Party House. Affordable rooms, and a well-run establishment, aren’t the only reason this place is one of the most renowned hostels in the city. A stay here will grant access to the bar, with a complimentary two drinks every night. If you want to enjoy George Town’s nightlife, this is where you start.
- WOW Penang Hotel (Hotel) – One of WOW Hotel’s best assets is its strategic location close to most major attractions. The hotel itself offers moderate prices for its guests. With this including free Wifi and access to the recreational lounges, you’ve found a gem. Make use of the tour desk to plan your days, and explore the nearby Penang Square, Komtar, and Wonderfood Museum.
- Cheong Fatt Tze (The Blue Mansion) (LUXURY) – Cheong Fatt Tze is a luxury mansion, housed in a Chinese-style courtyard estate. Its furnishings are chic and tasteful, and its antiques eye-catching. Expect individually crafted rooms boasting classic decor, and incredible service. The Blue Mansion is rated as one of the best hotels in Penang, Malaysia, and is ideal for looking to enjoy a luxurious stay.
Batu Ferringhi Beach
The most well-known beach location on Penang Island, Batu Ferringhi is the home of some of the best beaches in Malaysia.
Compared to the east side of the island, this tropical paradise is a pleasant change of pace. You won’t find any of the hustle and bustle of the city here. Instead, expect a rustic party vibe, with white beaches and local bars around every bend.
Best Places To Stay in Batu Ferringhi Beach
- Parkroyal Penang Resort – The Eden Seaview Condo is a beautiful highrise apartment situated in the heart of Batu Ferringhi. Spacious, modern, and fully-furnished, this Airbnb can host up to 4 guests. If you get over the large living halls and terrace views, then take a walk along the streets. There’s always a vibe going on around Eden.
- The Bayview Beach Resort – The Bayview compares to tropical resorts in Bali or the Andaman Coast. With its white sands and palm trees, you couldn’t ask for more. And yet, a stay here will give access to many of the social activities going on in the area. Meet people at the in-house bar or restaurant, where plans are made for the day and the night. Enjoy the vibrant atmosphere and get ready to party!
- Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La: Want to experience a bit of luxury at a fraction of the cost!? Complete with three outdoor pools, a mini water park with slide and a whirlpool, and beautifully landscaped grounds, it’s no wonder that the is one of the top picks on the island! It’s a beachfront accommodation that’s also walking distance to Batu Ferringhi’s night market and would provide for the most comfortable 3-day vacation!
Right at the top northwest corner of Penang Island, at the foot of its mountains, is Teluk Bahang. For the locals, it’s common knowledge that most visitors that arrive here have come to visit Penang National Park. The town acts as a sort of gateway to the lower parts of the island, where the reserve lies. Hiking trails and boat-hopping are the standard things to do here. That, and enjoying the remote quietness of the whole place.
Best Places To Stay in Teluk Bahang
- Cosy Seaside Bungalow – Situated directly alongside the beach, this cozy bungalow encapsulates everything Teluk Bahang is about. Each of the 5 bedrooms is available to stay in at around $75 USD and come fitted with A/C and Wifi. With Penang National Park only 5 minutes walk away and Escape to Entopia only 3, this homestead makes for the best placed Airbnb in the area.
- Tony’s Guesthouse – For 20 years, Tony’s has hosted backpackers, bikers, and socialites alike at their establishment. When it comes to staying in Teluk Bahang, there are few places with a better reputation. Prices usually start at around $11 USD for single rooms and go up from there. With 8 rooms situated across its 2 floors, there are single, double and triple sleeper rooms available. The communal kitchen area and cozy vibe will have you making friends in no time.
- Oyo 1093 Ali’s Motel – Teluk Bahang isn’t well known for its upmarket accommodation. Many people that come here are wanting a quiet getaway from the nearby parties at Batu Ferringhi. And, that’s exactly what Ali’s provides. Its $25 USD+ rooms are neat, clean and compact. With views of the beach outside and the spacious rooms with cool A/C inside, you’ll get that deserved downtime.
- Teluk Bahang – Iris Villa – Teluk Bahang may not have many luxurious hotels, but thanks to Luxury Services Company, you don’t need to downgrade. The accommodation is a large villa near the beach, with 4 rooms available for rent. Included in your stay are a gym, jacuzzi, barbecue area, and a spacious backyard. The modern furnishings are akin to any upscale hotel in George Town.
George Town encompasses much of the east sections of the island. In its southernmost parts, you can find the town of Bayan Lepas, situated around the Penang International Airport. For some, the convenience of being close to the airport is their reason for staying here. But, in most cases, it’s the fact that this is one of the more modern, urban areas on the island.Today, it houses Penang’s Free Industrial Zone and shopping complexes, with the biggest mall on the island, found here.
Best Places To Stay in Bayan Lepas
- Unicorn House – The Unicorn House is a designer’s dream. The walls are covered in a beautiful floral aesthetic, with a swinging chair hanging from the ceiling. The apartment is spacious and uniquely designed, to the point where you’ll feel like you’ve stepped into a secret garden. And, with the apartment being offered at only $20 USD a night, the unique gem is a steal.
- Bayan Lepas – Island Hostel – With prices starting at around $10 USD, the Island Hostel is one of the budget-friendly accommodations on this list. However, they don’t compromise on quality or customer service. The rooms are clean, the staff efficient, and the Wifi fast. As many have come to know, the Island Hostel is perfect for someone looking for a roof over their head.
- Hotel Equatorial Penang – Both the Main Wing and North Wing of the Hotel Equatorial have been newly refurbished, making it one of the most modern hotels on the island. With the airport nearby, you’ll be able to spot the iconic wings, and the walkway connecting them, from your plane. Rooms start at $60 USD and move up from there. If you’re looking for a hotel that is conveniently located and offers a wide variety of dining options, you’ve found it.
- Eastin Hotel – Only a couple minutes away from the Penang International Airport, the Eastin Hotel is located right alongside the Queensbay Mall, the biggest shopping complex on the island. Exploring the hotel’s many features, like pool and gym areas, is only the beginning. Stepping just outside the hotel doors will lead you into the giant mall and all its shops. A visit to Queensbay Mall is a must when in the area. Room pricing starts at $90 USD.
Also known as the Persiaran Gurney, Gurney Drive is the most popular Penang location in George Town. It stretches across much of the city’s top Northeast sections, along its coast. This promenade is a band of exciting venues, busy street markets, upmarket estates, and an extraordinary nightlife. For many regulars to Penang, it’s a second home. Most of the cultural and artistic elements of the city can be found here.
This promenade is ranked as one of the best streets in the world, making it a must-see for visitors to the island.
Best Places To Stay in Gurney Drive
- Gurney Inn – Gurney Inn provides accommodation for those travelers looking for an uncomplicated stay. Rooms begin at $20 USD and are good value for money. Each room comes fitted with A/C and desk to work at. Situated at the top of Gurney Drive, this hostel presents its guests with the opportunity to walk the promenade from head to toe.
- The Gurney Resort Hotel – Gurney Hotel is situated in the middle of Gurney Drive and is one of the best mid-range hotels in the area, with rooms starting at $80 USD. It has an infinity pool looking out over the beach and an in-house restaurant to enjoy. You might not want to leave the premises. With complimentary shuttle schedules on offer and a 24-hr front desk ready to serve your needs, you’ll be seeing the famous promenade in no time.
- The G Hotel – As upscale hotels in George Town go, The G is up amongst the best. The $180 USD rooms are filled with neat add-ons such as A/C, a minibar, satellite TV, and free bathroom accessories. Outside you’ll find an enormous outdoor swimming pool, stunning views of the coastline, and resident spa.
- Sunrise Gurney Seaview Duplex – The Sunrise Duplex lives up to its name. Its corner windows are perfect for catching the morning rays streaming over the northern beaches. The open-plan living arrangements make for a breezy stay, right on the beach. At $60 USD a night, you get the entire apartment to yourself, including the fully stocked kitchen, 2 bedrooms, and a fully furnished living area.
Planning a Trip to Malaysia & Southeast Asia?
So I’ve traveled quite extensively around this undeniably gorgeous country and region of the world (and even was based in Kuala Lumpur for a while), so my website is loaded with helpful articles, destination guides, and detailed itineraries! I’d love for you to take a look at a few of them below, and let me know what you think! I guarantee my website will be helpful for anyone planning a trip to Malaysia anytime soon!
- 2 Days in Kuala Lumpur Itinerary & Travel Guide
- The 7 Best Places to Visit in Malaysia in 3 Days | Epic Islands & Weekend Getaways
- The 20 Best Beaches in Malaysia
- The Ultimate Two-Week Malaysia Itinerary
- Malaysia Travel Guide | Trip Itinerary, Highlights + more
- The 25 Best Music Festivals in Asia To Experience Before You Die
- Ultimate Singapore to Bangkok Travel Overland Backpacking Itinerary
- 2 Days in Bangkok Itinerary How to Spend 48 Hours in Bangkok
- 3 Days in Singapore | The Ultimate 3-Day Singapore Itinerary & Travel Guide
- Malaysia Travel Guide: Trip Highlights, Destinations, & Itineraries
- Three Weeks in Thailand Itinerary
- The 10 Best Music Festivals in Thailand To Experience Before You Die
- Magic Mushrooms in Thailand | To Mellow Mountain & Beyond
- The 20 Best Singapore Rooftop Pool Hotels
- Top 20 Airbnb’s in Singapore | Unique Stays, Lofts, and Apartments
- One Month in the Philippines Travel Itinerary
- The Ultimate Bali Itinerary | How to Plan the Perfect Bali Vacation
Final Thoughts on Penang, Malaysia
Malaysia offers some amazing places to visit, with this island being one of the best. After spending some time there, you’ll see why it’s such a popular spot.
You’ve seen some of the top hotels in Penang, as well as its hostels and Airbnbs. Now, it’s a matter of booking your flights and packing your bags in preparation for what is sure to be one fantastic getaway.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!