Are you looking to discover some of the most fascinating and interesting facts about Asia? Great, you are in the right place! The Asian continent is home to a variety of diverse countries each with its own mind-blowing facts.
Asia is the largest continent in the world and takes up 30% of the total area of the Earth — that’s pretty huge! It’s also home to diverse cultures, delicious foods, some of the largest countries in the world, and so much more.
The 48 countries that make up this continent boast a large population. From bustling cities and pristine coastal locations, those of you that have been before will know Asia is home to some of the best islands and beaches in the world.
Asia is at the top of many bucket lists, and it’s easy to see why. There is something new to experience in each region of Asia. From the bustling streets of major cities like Bangkok with leading innovative technology and out-of-this-world buildings to the relaxed and crystal clear beaches of the Philippines, Vietnam, and Thailand.
Let’s take a look at the quirky things that make this continent unique so that the next time you visit, you’ll have better insight into the way this place ticks.
Interesting Facts About Asia
Here are some interesting facts about the Asian continent. Some you may already know, like the fact that the world’s largest flower is found in Asia, but others will definitely boggle your brain. Some of your questions, such as ‘what is the smallest country in Asia?’ will be answered in the list below.
So, let’s dive straight into some of the things that make Asia so interesting. You’re going to love all the new information you learn about this fascinating continent.
- The word “Asia” comes from Greek origins and is a female name that means sunrise.
- Asia is the most populous continent, with a population of more than 4.6 billion people, with the Asian population density accounting for over 60% of the world’s population.
- China is the most populous country, with a population of over 1.3 billion people.
- China only has a single time zone. Even though it spans 3,705 million square miles of land, everyone has their watch set to the same time.
- Indonesia has the largest Muslim population in the world.
- The Maldives is the smallest country in Asia, and one of the smallest countries in the world.
- Vietnam exports over a third of the world’s cashew nuts.
- Thailand is the only country in Southeast Asia that has never been colonized by Europeans.
- In the Thai language, the name of Thailand is Prathet Thai, which means “land of the free,” which is very fitting for the fact above.
- Japan has the longest life expectancy in the world with the average life expectancy for males being 80.9 years and 86.6 years for females.
- Singapore, South Korea, and Japan have the highest average IQ on the planet.
- The first known Siamese twins were born in Thailand.
- Thailand is the world’s number one orchid exporter.
- Cambodia’s flag is the only one in the world to feature a building.
- Thailand is home to the smallest mammal in the world — the Kitti’s hog-nosed bat is only 1 cm long and is sometimes called the bumblebee bat.
Geographical Asian Continent Facts
I’m sure you have learned something new from the list above, but it doesn’t stop there. The Asian continent also has some astonishing natural landscapes that have a host of their own interesting facts.
Taking you on a journey from the highest point to the lowest point in the world you are sure to be left in awe of these facts. Let’s find out a little more about the remarkable geographical landscapes of the Asian continent.
- Asia is the largest continent in the world, and according to the United Nations, 48 countries make up the continent. Bonus fact, it’s also part of the supercontinent known as Eurasia, as the Asian and European continents aren’t exactly separated.
- There are more than 150 volcanoes in Indonesia.
- Indonesia is the world’s fourth most populous country.
- The Philippines is made up of 7,641 islands.
- Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River in Palawan, Philippines is one of the longest underground rivers in the world.
- The Hang Son Doong cave in Vietnam is so big you could fit multiple full-sized commercial airplanes inside it; it is also the largest known cave in the world.
- The Equator, Tropic of Cancer, and Arctic Circle all pass through the Asian continent.
- Asia is separated from Africa by the Red Sea and Suez Canal.
- 14 of the world’s highest mountains can be found in Asia, and they are all over 26,000 feet above the sea
- The deepest trench in the world: Mariana Trench lies in the Pacific Ocean near the Philippines.
- Pamir Plateau, situated in Central Asia, is known as the ‘Roof of the World’.
- Asia is the only continent on earth that shares borders with two other continents; Africa and Europe.
- One of the unique facts about Asia is that both the highest and lowest points in the world, Mount Everest and The Dead Sea, are found on the continent.
Fun Facts About Asia
Now that we have covered Asia’s facts and information in a more general sense it’s time to have a look at some of the top Asia fun facts.
You may or may not be surprised that the Asian continent is home to some of the richest people in the world. They also have some rather remarkable, one-of-a-kind buildings, which you can experience by spending two days in Hong Kong. Keep reading and find out more about what makes this continent so quirky.
- There is a building in Singapore that is inspired by a Star Wars robot – The Sandcrawler.
- 45 billion pairs of chopsticks are produced in China every year.
- You can’t see the Great Wall of China from space (contrary to popular belief).
- South Korea has a separate Valentine’s Day for single people.
- Chinese New Year celebrations last for 15 whole days.
- As the continent’s staple food, Asian countries’ rice-eating habits mean Asians account for 90% of the world’s rice consumption.
- Thailand has a giant water fight festival.
- Asia has the highest number of billionaires in the world and China is home to more billionaires than the whole of the United States.
- Insects are eaten as delicacies in some Asian countries.
- Japan has produced 22 Nobel Laureates.
- Vietnam is one of the cheapest countries in the world to get a tailor-made outfit.
- Every year there is a festival in Thailand dedicated purely to monkeys.
- There are more than 500 million Buddhists in Asia.
- Ping pong is the most popular sport in China.
- Another interesting fact about Asia is that Fortune Cookies actually originated in Japan and not China (as is widely believed).
- In 2019 there was a Dota 2 (that’s a video game for those non-tech-savvy people among us) tournament hosted in Shanghai with a prize pool of over $43 million, which is the biggest esports prize pool to date.
- Singapore’s national anthem is in micro-text on the back of their $1,000 note.
- Snake Wine (yes, a bottle of wine with a snake coiled inside it) has an almost legendary status in Vietnam.
- There has never been a McDonald’s in Cambodia.
Asia Facts for Kids
Are you looking for some great facts about Asia for kids? Below are some cool facts that will expand the little one’s general knowledge while keeping them entertained.
These facts are easy to remember and are great to introduce your kids to now so that when they arrive in geography class one day, they will be one step ahead. Show these Asian fun facts to your little ones and let them boast about all the trivia about Asia that they know.
- Tokyo is the largest city in Asia, with a population of over 9.2 million people.
- Asia has 12 landlocked countries.
- The biggest island in Asia is Borneo which can be found in South-East Asia. This island is the third-largest island in the world.
- Yangtze River is the longest river on the Asian continent. It can be found in China and runs for 3,915 miles.
- The highest mountain in Asia and the world is Mount Everest, with a peak of 29,035 feet high. It forms part of the Himalayan Mountain Range found between Nepal and China.
- The biggest lake in Asia is the Caspian Sea, which is also the largest lake in the world.
- The Gobi desert is the largest desert in Asia and also the driest place you will find on the continent.
- There are over 2,300 languages that are recognized in Asia, with the most commonly spoken language being Mandarin.
- Asia is home to some very interesting and rare animals. This includes the giant panda, Asian elephant, tiger, komodo dragon, Bactrian camel, and the king cobra.
Asian Culture Facts
There is so much more to Asian cultures than just the delicious Chinese food and fascinating delicacies that we are exposed to. The culture is rooted in a sound belief system which you will find out about in the facts below.
It’s always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the way different cultures do things before visiting a country, to make sure you don’t innocently land yourself in some sort of trouble. Check out the awesome fun facts about Asian culture below to ensure you know how to behave when visiting this continent.
- Chinese culture is deeply influenced by the belief system of Confucianism.
- It’s rude to point around Thai people, especially avoid pointing at Monks or The Royal Family, who are highly respected.
- The Chinese word for China translates to ‘The Middle Kingdom,’ which explains the Chinese worldview that China is the center of the world.
- The way you drink your tea can determine your social status in Asian cultures.
- In Thai culture, when visiting someone else’s home, it’s a must to take your shoes off at the door.
- The head is considered to be the most sacred part of the body in Thai culture and it’s disrespectful to touch someone’s head, even a child’s.
- Malaysia is one of the most multicultural countries in Southeast Asia.
- 95% of Cambodians are Buddhists.
- It’s illegal to gamble in Japan (with the exception of betting on racehorses and a few other sports).
Further Reading: All About Asia and Asian Countries
Has the Asia trivia above intrigued you? If you are planning a trip to this part of the world, then check out some of the posts below that should be helpful in your planning.
If you are just here for the facts and are on the hunt for all the fascinating things you can find about different parts of the world, I can help you there too. There are some posts that cover interesting things about Asia and its countries that are sure to satisfy that curiosity.
- 27 Amazing Things To Do On Koh Tao, Thailand
- The 15 Best Music Festivals In Thailand
- Top 19 Overwater Bungalows In Malaysia For A Luxurious Getaway
- Top 7 Places To Visit In Malaysia In 3 Days | Epic Islands & Weekend Getaways
- 25 Amazing Things To Do In Uluwatu, Bali
- 3 Days In Manila: How To Spend 3 Days In The Capital City
- The 20 Best Beaches In Vietnam | Epic Islands, Beach Resorts + Hotels
- The Ultimate Travel Resource Guide For South-east Asia
- 70 Amazing, Fun And Interesting Facts About Dubai
- 90+ Facts About Singapore | Interesting, Fun, & Surprising Truths
- 73 Interesting Facts About Thailand: The Land Of Smiles
Discovering Amazing Facts About Asia
I’m sure you have found out some fascinating things about the Asian continent that you never knew before. From the exquisite landscapes to large cities inhabited by billionaires, Asia really does have it all.
A continent rich in diverse cultures, biodiversity, and foods, it really isn’t a wonder that there are so many interesting things to discover about this continent. I hope you have learned something new and that you will remember a few of these facts about Asia when you next visit.