Looking for some fun and famous quotes about Texas? Well, look no further, as I’ve compiled this amazing list of Texas Quotes and Texas captions perfect for that next Instagram post!
Texas is like its own country within The United States of America, but given its sheer size and charm, it’s only fair it gets a chance in the spotlight. From the range of truck brands, portion sizes, and cowboy hats, everything in Texas is bigger and better.
It’s definitely one of those places that deserve talking about and it’s tough to appreciate the heart of the Texans without hopping on a plane. But no worries, I’m going to attempt to make you fall in love with the county right from where you’re sitting.
There’s an endless stream of history to learn, landscapes to wander, stories to tell, and some truly amazing Airbnbs in Texas! And the easiest way to sum it all up is with some good old Texas quotes.
Texas Quotes To Fall In Love With The Wild West
There’s a lot more to Texas than the idea of the Wild West, but its cultural legacy makes it an exciting part of understanding the ways of the county. These are the best quotes about Texas and its big personality.
1) “I highly enjoy the people down in that area. A genuine authenticity comes to mind… Ya’ll have such vibrant silly energy, the culture is rich and everyone from locals to Winter Texans always seems to be in good spirits.” – Pat Green
2) “No place like Texas would I ever roam. No place like Texas, my home, sweet home.” – Willie Nelson
3) “I like Texas and Texans. In Texas, everything is bigger. When Texans win, they win big. And when they lose, it’s spectacular. If you really want to learn the attitude of how to handle risk, losing, and failure, go to San Antonio and visit the Alamo.” – Robert Kiyosaki
4) “Obviously, people in Texas have big hearts.” – Katie Couric
5) “The sky in Texas is the most amazing in the whole country. You can see more sky in Texas than you see anywhere else in the world.” – Idina Menzel
6) “I’d heard about Texas football and how much of a religion it is, but to go to Odessa and experience it first-hand is something different than just hearing about it.” – Jay Hernandez
7) “There was a vastness here, more air, more sun, more space, and I thought that here a man drew some of that vastness into his soul.” – Conrad Hilton
8) “Big Bend National Park is intensely wild and extraordinarily beautiful – tucked away at the end of a couple of roads in southwest Texas.” – Stefanie Payne
9) “It’s fun telling you tall Texas tales. You always look like a little girl who’s hearing Cinderella for the first time.” – Edna Ferber
10) “Now I love the USA, and the other states, ah, they’re ok, Texas is the place I wanna be.” – Ray Wylie Hubbard
11) “Texas has long been known as the nation’s largest energy producer, but we are equally proud of our distinction as the nation’s leading energy innovator.” – Rick Perry
12) “I’m from Texas, and one of the reasons I like Texas is because there’s no one in control.” – Willie Nelson
13) “Texas does not, like any other region, simply have indigenous dishes. It proclaims them. It congratulates you, on your arrival, at having escaped from the slop pails of the other 49 states.” – Alistair Cooke
Short Texas Quotes
Whether you’re looking for your next Instagram caption to sum up your time in Texas, or looking for something short and sweet to say about the state. Here are a few that are sure to put your thoughts down on paper.
14) “Don’t mess with Texas.” – Texas Department of Transportation
15) “In Texas, it’s always hot, dry, sunny, not a cloud in the sky.” – Piper Perabo
16) “Are you really a Texan? I mean, really? Riley, if I have a headache, I’d put bacon around an aspirin before I take it.” – RJ Scott
17) “If you grab enough Texas land, somethin’ good is bound to happen.” – James Michener
18) “I didn’t drive eleven hours across the state of Texas to watch my cholesterol.” – Robb Walsh
19) “Texas is a blend of valor and swagger.” – Carl Sanburg
20) “Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention.” – Molly Ivins
21) “That’s right, you’re not from Texas. But Texas wants you anyways.” – Lyle Lovett
22) “I feel safer on a racetrack than I do on Houston’s freeways.” – A.J. Foyt
23) “I realize we could physically fit everybody there (Texas)… that doesn’t mean they could all be fed, and clothed, and given iPhones.” – Dane Wigington
24) “You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can’t take the Texas out the girl.” – Janine Turner
25) “Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called ‘walking.” – George W. Bush
26) “That’s what happens to snow in Texas, lady. It freaking MELTS!!” – Rick Riordan
27) “Lainie, of course, would never turn gray. No respectable woman from Texas ever would.” – Kellie Coates Gilbert
Texan Quotes About Texas
I’ve listed some iconic Texan quotes to give you an idea of what life is like in the lush mountainous lands, arid deserts, and even coastal shores.
28) “If you’ve ever driven across Texas, you know how different one area of the state can be from another. Take El Paso. It looks as much like Dallas as I look like Jack Nicklaus.” – Lee Trevino
29) “They say that Virginia is the mother of Texas. We never knew who the father was, but we kinda suspected Tennessee.” – Tex Ritter
30) “Houston is, without a doubt, the weirdest, most entertaining city in Texas, consisting as it does of subtropical forest, life in the fast lane, a layer of oil, cowboys, and spacemen.” – Texas Tourism Guide
31) “Makes me want to go to leave the United States and go to a more sensible place, like Texas.” – Greg Gutfeld
32) “This is Texas. We’re still figuring out how to spell tolerance.” – Rachel Caine
33) “Sectional football games have the glory and the despair of war, and when a Texas team takes the field against a foreign state, it is an army with banners.” – John Steinbeck
34) “News events are like Texas weather. If you don’t like it, wait a minute.” – Jessica Savitch
35) “There can be no argument about the Lone Star State’s significant contributions to American history, and we must remember the actions and the sacrifices of those who made Texas independence a reality.” – Michael McCaul
36) “That’s the thing about East Texas. Red dirt never quite washes out, and pine pollen is tenacious as original sin.” – Markham Shaw Pyle
37) “The definition of insanity in Texas is so insane that it’s impossible to be insane in Texas.” – Malcolm McDowell
38) “Texas deserves a leader who understands that making education a priority creates good jobs for Texans and keeps Texas on top.” – Wendy Davis
39) “No matter where you go in East Texas, ‘Deep’ East Texas is always about twenty miles further in than wherever you are.” – Markham Shaw Pyle
Famous Texas Quotes
From authors, artists, senators, and the likes, these are some goodies that have come out of Texas and made their appearance in different parts of the world.
40) “The closest I’d ever gotten was a trip with Mom and Dad to Austin, Texas, through hill country: gently curving roads dissected by giant oaks, rolling rivers, and fields of bluebonnets so bountiful you’d think you’d stepped right into the heart of the ocean.” – Misty Hayes
41) “I read somewhere that you could still fit the entire world’s population into Texas. Imagine that.” – Caspar Vega
42) “Like most passionate nations, Texas has its own history based on, but not limited by, facts.” – John Steinbeck
43) “Texas…was evidently the only place in the known universe, including Louisiana, that actually got hotter after the sun went down.” – Kathleen Kent
44) “I’m a Texas girl, with a California soul.” – Crystal Woods
45) “I love Texas because Texas is future-orientated because Texans think anything is possible. Texans think big.” – Senator Phil Gramm
46) “Dr. Tom had said that Texas was the only place he had ever found that, when it killed you, it didn’t forget about you.” – Kathleen Kent
47) “I think Texans have more fun than the rest of the world.” – Tommy Tune
48) “ ‘Jewelry, in a box this big?’ I unfastened the silver latches. ‘This is Texas,’ Kimmie said reasonably.” – Lisa Kleypas
Texas Pride Quotes
If someone’s from Texas, you’ll know. There’s an awesome sense of pride among the Texan people, and it goes to show how epic their county is.
49) “Football is to Texas what religion is to a priest.” – Tom Landry
50) “I’ve traveled all over the world, but I don’t think there is any place better than Texas.” – Red Adair
51) “A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.” – Former Texas Speaker of the House Billy Clayton
52) “I am forced to conclude that God made Texas on his day off, for pure entertainment, just to prove that all that diversity could be crammed into one section of earth by a really top hand.” – Mary Lasswell
53) “I’d rather be a fencepost in Texas, than the king of Tennessee.” – Chris Wall
54) “Texans, for the most part, have never learned to be dull.” – Randolph Campbell
55) “I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here. There is a world of country here to settle.” – Davy Crockett
56) “Never forget, son, when you represent Texas, always go first class.” – James Michener
57) “At Odessa we became Texans, and proud of it.” – President George Herbert Walker Bush
58) “I don’t wear no Stetson, but I’m willin’ to bet, Son. That I’m a bigger Texan than you are.” – Robert Earl Keen
59) “I’d prefer to die in Texas when I’m old. They say most good things end the same way they started, and that’s where I entered the world, so that’s how I’ll leave it. ” – Crystal Woods
60) “As a Texan, I say ma’m and sir to my age contemporaries and open doors for anyone that I can. This goes for men, too, though it is appreciated when they beat me to it and disappointing when they don’t.” – Tiffany Madison
61) “Deep down, I’m a Texas girl looking for that big romance every girl dreams about. Biologically, I look forward to being a cornerstone of a family.” – Renee Zellweger
62) “Always marry a woman from Texas. No matter how tough things get, she’s seen tougher.” – Dan Rather
Best Texas Quotes From The Legends
We can thank Texas for birthing some of the greatest figures throughout history. Legendary singers, athletes, authors, and movie stars call the Lone Star State home. Without them, the world might have been a sad, sad place.
63) “You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.” – Davy Crockett
64) “Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word.” – John Steinbeck
65) “When I make a vow to God, then I would suggest to you that’s even stronger than a handshake in Texas.” – Rick Perry
66) “Being from Texas, I would say I favor a pair of jeans you can wear some boots with.” – Jensen Ackles
67) “I love what Jacksonville taught me and where it led me. The good, the bad and the indifferent all helped shape me. I may not live there anymore but it lives inside me. It is and will always be my foundation.” – Carlos Wallace
68) “I like it here in Austin. Anybody got a room?” – Keith Richards (psst, check out these awesome Airbnbs in Austin)
69) “Texas history is a varied, tempestuous, and vast as the state itself. Texas yesterday is unbelievable, but no more incredible than Texas today. Today’s Texas is exhilarating, exasperating, violent, charming, horrible, delightful, alive.” – Edna Ferber
70) “I thought I knew Texas pretty well, but I had no notion of its size until I campaigned it.” – Ann Richards
71) “Texas is ok if you want to settle down and do your own thing quietly, but it’s not for outrageous people, and I was always outrageous.” – Janis Joplin
72) “To me, it’s really the heart of Texas. You don’t know the Lone Star State until you’ve experienced Gruene Hall.” – Miranda Lambert
73) “You can imagine me as a kid growing up in redneck Texas with ballet shoes, tucking the violin under my arm.” – Patrick Swayze
74) “Texas will again lift its head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.” – Sam Houston
75) “Texas is neither southern nor western. Texas is Texas.” – Senator William Blakley
76) “As a child of West Texas, I identify with Hispanic culture every bit as much as I do North American culture.” – Tommy Lee Jones
77) “In Texas, we practically come out of the womb in jeans.” – Kelly Clarkson
Funny Texas Quotes
There’s a different kind of humor out in Texas. Funny, yes, but also dry and to the point.
78) “If a man’s from Texas he’ll tell ya. If he’s not, why embarrass him by asking?” – John Gunther
79) “You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America.” – Joe Bob Briggs
80) “You’re bullshitting. Don’t they call it horseshitting down here?” – Abigail Roux
81) “What do the Texans say? All hat, no cattle.” – Alexander McCall Smith
82) “I felt a little guilty about jangling the poor bugger’s brains with that evil fantasy. But what the hell? Anybody who wanders around the world saying, “Hell yes, I’m from Texas,” deserves whatever happens to him.” – Hunter S Thomson
83) “In Austin, we don’t have such high expectations of chihuahuas.” – Lawrence Wright
84) “This is America. We’re entitled to our opinions. Wrong. This is Texas. And my opinion is the only one that counts.” – Susan Elizabeth Phillips
85) “I done drew the line. Just like the Alamo. You’re either on one side of the line or the other. I don’t want to ever leave Texas again!” – Bum Phillips
86) “The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous, and likable. In three days no one could stand him.” – Joseph Heller
87) “ ‘How erotic Texas must be!’ she said. I was sure she had meant ‘exotic,’ but I followed through: ‘Maybe, if you find cactus and deserts erotic, sensual.’ ” – John Rechy
88) “There are parts of Texas where a fly lives ten thousand years and a man can’t die soon enough.” – Katherine Dunn
89) “Texas is like an attractive, troublesome, and immature person who gets an inheritance – ranching – and then gets a second one — oil — and now has to grow up and get to work.” – Joe B. Frantz
Sam Houston Quotes
Sam Houston was an American soldier and politician who served as the first and third President of the Republic of Texas in the 19th century. He’s become a legend to the state and you won’t find a Texan who hasn’t heard some of his famous words.
90) “Havin’ fun while freedom fightin’ must be one of those lunatic Texas traits we get from the water – which is known to have lithium in it – because it goes all the way back to Sam Houston, surely the most lovable, the most human, and the funniest of all the great men this country has ever produced.” – Molly Ivins
91) “Texas is the finest portion of the globe that has blessed my vision.” – Sam Houston
92) “Texas will again lift its head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages.” – Sam Houston
93) “Govern wisely, and as little as possible.” – Sam Houston
94) “In the name of the constitution of Texas, which has been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. I love Texas too well to bring civil strife and bloodshed upon her.” – Sam Houston
95) “Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.” – Sam Houston
Texan Quotes in Country Songs
I couldn’t forget about the famous country songs that have stolen the hearts of people from all over the globe, even if country music isn’t their thing. There’s so much heart and soul that goes into these tales, and they’re worth giving a good listening to.
While we’re on the topic of music, there are some epic Texan music festivals I’d highly recommend you check out!
96) “If you’re gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band, that lead guitar is hot, but not for “Louisiana man”. So rosin up that bow for “faded love”. And lets all dance. If you’re gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band.” – Alabama
97) “Did I wait too long? Or can I make it right? The bluest eyes in Texas are haunting me tonight.” – Restless Heart
98) “Let’s go to Luckenbach, Texas, with Waylon and Willie and the boys.” – Waylon Jennings
99) “When I was a child down in South Caroline, soon as Saturday sun went on down. My folks and sister would go and leave me home all alone, going to that big square dance in town.” – Tanya Tucker
100) “God blessed Texas with His own hand, brought down angels from the promised land.” – Little Texas
101) “Galveston, oh Galveston, I still hear your sea winds blowing, I still see her dark eyes glowing she was 21 when I left Galveston.” – Glen Campbell
102) “If you’ve got somethin’ to sell your wastin’ your time, I’m not buyin’. If it’s anybody else wait for the tone you know what to do, and P.S. if this is Austin I still love you.” – Blake Shelton
103) “One night a wild young cowboy came in, wild as the West Texas wind, dashing and daring.” – Marty Robbins
104) “All my ex’s live in Texas, and Texas is the place I’d dearly love to be, but all my ex’s live in Texas, and that’s why I hang my hat in Tennessee.” – George Strait
105) “To beautiful, beautiful Texas, where the beautiful bluebonnets grow, we’re proud of our forefathers, who fought at the Alamo.” – Willie Nelson
Did I Miss Any Quotes About Texas?
It’s not just the Wild West spirit and hearty attitude of Texas that catches our attention. With cosmopolitan cities, exciting music scenes, and an insanely beautiful outdoor landscape, Texas is home to a county of adventure.
It would be a shame if I left out any iconic Texas quotes and sayings. If I’ve left out one or two that you love, feel free to drop me an email or reach out on social media and I’ll do my best to find it a home!
Planning a trip to Texas?
I’ve got a few other posts that could be helpful if you’re looking for a fun upcoming event or unique Airbnb accommodation around the state!
- The 25 Best Music Festivals in Texas
- Top 20 Airbnbs in Austin, Texas for some Southern Hospitality
- The 20 Best Airbnbs in Houston, Texas For a Space City Getaway
- The 17 Best South Padre Island Airbnb Vacation Rentals
- The 18 Coolest & Best Dallas Airbnb Rentals
- The 15 Coolest & Best Airbnbs in San Antonio, Texas
Also, check out this video for more Texas trip planning inspiration!
Looking for more travel inspiration?
My blog has tons more fun and helpful posts, and I’d love for you to check out a few more while you’re here!
- LA to San Diego Drive | 15 Must Visit Places in Southern California
- Where is Hot In January | 20 Awesome Winter Sun Holidays
- Where is Hot in February | 20 Incredible & Warm Places to visit in February
- The 30 Best Airbnbs in California For The Ultimat West Coast Vacation
- Top 25 Country Music Festivals in the U.S.A
- 40 Wild Parties in 40 Countries To Experience Before You’re 40
- The Ultimate Music Festival Camping Packing List
- The 40 Best Festival Quotes to Inspire Your Next Adventure
- The 15 Best Airbnbs in Pittsburgh For a Steel City Getaway
- The 18 Best Airbnbs in Bend, Oregon for an Outdoorsy Escape
- The 17 Best Airbnbs in Ocean City, Maryland
- The 20 Best Airbnbs in Los Angeles for a West Coast Vacation
- The 15 Coolest & Best Airbnbs in St. Louis, Missouri For BBQ & Blues
- The 17 Best Airbnbs in Cincinnati For Queen City Getaway
- The 19 Best Airbnbs in Charlotte, North Carolina
- The 18 Best Airbnbs in Charleston, South Carolina
- The 15 Best Airbnbs in Myrtle Beach For a Dreamy Beachfront Getaway
My family had a great time in Texas. We had a wonderful time there and enjoyed the culture of the region. The nightlife was fantastic, and the city’s elegance is indescribable. We are in love with the place and explore so many places like San Antonio’s river walk, The Alamo, Space Center Houston, Big Bend National Park, etc. I would like to revisit there.