Looking for the best quotes about Spain to inspire you? These Spain quotes are sure to transport you right to the Mediterrean destination…
Spain is one of my favorite destination in the world. Rich in history yet always moving forwards, Spain is a delicious assault to the senses. From the city to the sea to the tiny villages that dot its landscape, there is always a surprise around the corner in Spain.
Stunning sights, incredible food and a distinctly Mediterranean vibe await you in Spain, and you’ll never want your visit to end.
There’s nothing like reading quotes from those from the past and present who have found inspiration in the sunny European country. Quotes have a way of capturing the feeling of a city, island or village in a short yet powerful way.
My collection of Spain quotes are thoughtful, funny, captivating and inspiring…
The Best Spain Quotes
There are so many excellent quotes about Spain, but this selection features the most standout quotes that will be sure to take your imagination there…
1) “I would sooner be a foreigner in Spain than in most countries. How easy it is to make friends in Spain!” – George Orwell
2) “In Spain, the dead are more alive than the dead of any other country in the world.” – Federico Garcia Lorca
3) “Any reasonable, sentient person who looks at Spain, comes to Spain, eats in Spain, drinks in Spain, they’re going to fall in love. Otherwise, there’s something deeply wrong with you. This is the dream of all the world.” – Anthony Bourdain
4) “I love the dancing and the music from Latin cultures. I went to a Flamenco show in Spain once, and it completely took my breath away!” – Torrey DeVitto
5) “In a unified and diverse Spain, based on the equality of and solidarity between its people, there is room for all of us. And for all of our feelings and sensitivities and our distinct ways of being Spaniards.” – Felipe VI of Spain
6) “‘El Gordo’ is the name given to the oldest lottery jackpot in the world – and the richest. Held every year in Madrid on December 22, the Christmas Lottery culminates with the picking of the El Gordo number, the Fat One, which, for many, has become the true Christmas miracle in Spain.” – Michael Paterniti
7) “I go to Spain a lot, in winter, for a blast of sunlight to banish the blues brought on by the Irish greys and drizzle. I love the cities of the Spanish interior.” – Kevin Barry
8) “Since I am from Spain, once the morning has gone, I like to take a nap while falling asleep to black and white movies. It feels less lonely. There is a comfort in hearing their voices, like when you’re a child and you4 mother tells you a story before bedtime.” – Jordi Molla
9) “It’s funny to see a film in Spain with a lot of violence because we don’t have a lot of violence. Well, of course, we have violence, some murders, some terrorism and a lot of things. We have suffered a dictatorship, and we talk about the civil war constantly.” – Javier Camara
10) “I’ll get seven hours sleep a night, but after breakfast, I’ll have an hour just resting, to recover. In Spain they all have siestas, even businessmen.” – Anthony Joshua
11) “In Spain, people understand football is a fun game, and enjoyment comes first. After that, business follows.” – Emmanuel Adebayor
12) “There is no night life in Spain. They stay up late but they get up late. That is not night life. That is delaying the day.” – Ernest Hemingway
13) “I love Spanish cities, particularly Barcelona, Madrid and Palma, which has the most amazing cathedral that I once went to for a wedding.” – Louise Nurding
Short Spain Quotes
Short and sweet, these short quotes about Spain say so much about Spain in such a succinct way.
14) “Like Spain, I am bound to the past.” – William S. Burroughs
15) “In Spain, they’re never direct, and that frustrates me.” – Toni Duggan
16) “In Spain, the best way to keep a secret is to write a book.” – Manuel Azaña
17) “To this day the Arab influence is evident in southern Italy, northern Africa and, above all, in Spain.” – Carroll Quigley
18) “Three Spaniards, four opinions.” – Spanish proverb
19) “In Spain, if you don’t follow football, you’re dead. You don’t have conversation.” – Garbine Muguruza
20) “The goatherds were the poorest people of Spain. Probably, they were the richest.” – Jose Mujica
Spain Quotes About Food
Spain is world famous for its food, and there quotes about Spanish food are guaranteed to tickle your tastebuds. Paella, anyone?
21) “In Spain, you can go into any tapas bar, and you’ll see anchovies all over the menu.” – Jose Andres
22) “Because the Spanish eat so crazily late – anybody who’s been to Spain has had the experience of sitting down at 9:30 P.M. to find themselves the first customer in the restaurant – they tend to favour an early-evening drink and a nibble to keep them going.” – John Lanchester
23) “I’m learning with my mum how to cook more Spanish food. I’m trying to make a good paella, but that’s a real art.” – Daniel Bruhl
24) “I cook croquetas, and I eat jamon. I keep my diet 100% Mediterranean and drink my Rioja. In that sense, I have a piece of Spain in West Hollywood.” – Paz Vega
25) “You go to a restaurant in the States and kids have these game boards at the table. You don’t see that in Italy or Spain. It’s not because they can’t afford to buy them, it’s because that’s not what eating together as a family is about.” – Emeril Lagasse
26) “Spain is a fascinating mix of people, languages, culture and food, but if there is one thing all Spaniards share, it’s a love of food and drink.” – Jose Andres
The Spanish capital of Madrid is a lively city rich in culture and with so much to see. These are the best quotes about Madrid to inspire your own city escape.
27) “Madrid is enjoyed most from the ground, exploring your way through its narrow streets that always lead to some intriguing park, market, tapas bar or street performer. Each night we’d leave our hotel to begin a new adventure in Madrid and nine out of 10 times, we’d walk through the Plaza Mayor.” – Emilio Estevez
28) “Madrid seems to be in a hurry to say everything.”– Javier Marías
29) “If ever a painter wrought a miracle of illusion with brush and pigment that painter was Velazquez in his Las Meninas, at the Prado in Madrid.” – Joaquin Sorolla
30) “I adore Madrid. It’s my city. If I ever move, it will only be for work. Whenever I travel, I always want to get back home.” -Maria Valverde
31) “To go to bed at night in Madrid marks you as a little queer. For a long time your friends will be a little uncomfortable about it. Nobody goes to bed in Madrid until they have killed the night. Appointments with a friend are habitually made for after midnight at the cafe.” – Ernest Hemingway
32) “Madrid is a big city. It’s very dynamic and cosmopolitan.” – Xabi Alonso
33) “Here is a city built in a wilderness. Philip II chose the site for no other reason than that it was the geographic centre of Spain.” – Gerald Brenan
Inspiring Spain Quotes
Looking to stir your own sense of European wanderlust? These inspiring quotes about Spain will do just that and more!
34) “I have seen dawn and sunset on moors and windy hills coming in solemn beauty like slow old tunes of Spain.” – John Edward Masefield
35) “In Spain, after the dictatorship, thanks to Pedro Almodovar, many artists put on the streets through art a big explosion of freedom.” – Miguel Angel Silvestre
36) “The power of music in Spanish is so strong that I couldn’t stay away from it any longer.” – Enrique Iglesias
37) “I wish one time in my life I could do what other writers do… get me a villa in Spain and go there to write a book.” – Lewis Grizzard
38) “I spent 13 years in Spain, and when you spend that amount of time somewhere, it has a deep influence on you.” – Samuel Eto’o
39) “I was right choosing to play with Spain. It is a pride; the decision was easy. I love Spain.” – Thiago Alcantara
40) “We don’t look at teachers as scholars the way they do in Europe. In Spain you’re called a professor if you’re a high school teacher, and they pay teachers – they pay teachers in Europe.” – Frank McCourt
Quotes About Barcelona
An artistic marvel with a whole lot to offer, Barcelona is one of the most popular cities in the world to visit. These Barcelona quotes capture the vibe of the Catalan capital.
41) “The haunting of history is ever present in Barcelona. I see cities as organisms, as living creatures. To me, Madrid is a man and Barcelona is a woman. And it’s a woman who’s extremely vain.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
42) “We crossed spacious streets, with building resembling palaces, in La Rambla promenade; the shops were well illuminated and there was movement and life… I did not decide to go to sleep, even though I wished to, so I could rise early and contemplate, in daylight, this city, unknown to me: Barcelona, capital of Catalonia.” – Hans Christian Andersen
43) “Barcelona is a very old city in which you can feel the weight of history; it is haunted by history. You cannot walk around it without perceiving it.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafon
44) “Even the moon was embarrassed by the beauty of Barcelona.” – Andrew Barger
45) “Italy has great food and Barcelona has great energy.” – Stefon Harris
46) “After a while dawn tinged the sky with amber, and Barcelona woke up. We heard the distant bells from the basilica of Santa Maria del Mar, just emerging from the mist on the other side of the harbour.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafón
47) “Here in Barcelona, it’s the architects who built the buildings that made the city iconic who are the objects of admiration – not a bunch of half-witted monarchs.” – Julie Burchill
48) “Barcelona is one of the best cities in the world. I love it there!” – Meghan Markle
49) “I wrote every day between the ages of 12 and 20 when I stopped because I went to Barcelona, where life was too exciting to write.” – Colm Tóibín
50) “You’d have a hard time finding anything better than Barcelona for food, as far as being a hub.” – Anthony Bourdain
51) “Barcelona is Gaudí’s.” – Kamand Kojouri
52) “Allow me to state here how much I love Barcelona , an admirable city, a city full of life, intense, a port open to the past and future.” – Le Corbusier
Spain Instagram Captions & Quotes
Searching for a caption to accompany that snap of you marvelling at a Barcelona Gaudi building? About to dig into a piping hot seafood paella? These Spain Instagram captions are sure to bring in the likes!
53) Madrid memories.
54) “The first time I saw her, fires were alight. It was a spicy night in Barcelona. The air was fragrant and free.” – Roman Payne
55) Paella, sangria, and tapas, oh my!
56) “Watching the sun set over the Barcelona horizon never gets old.” – Anonymous
57) We’re cava-ing a great time in Barcelona!
58) Feeling on tapas the world in Spain!
59) Spain is always a good idea.
60) Siesta time!
61) Vive cada momento (live every moment)
62) Yo amo Espana (I love Spain)
63) Here in Madrid, things are getting Real.
64) Spain is in the Palma of my hand.
65) Oh my Gaudi!
Celebrity Spain Quotes
Spain has been a longtime favorite for the rich and famous to vacation or find inspiration in, and these celebrity quotes about Spain convey the passion the other half feel about this beautiful country.
66) “It’s like a dream to come to Spain and stay for a couple of years and get somebody to teach me Spanish music.” – Lenny Kravitz
67) “I live where I would like to live. I live in Majorca, Spain, and I am not sure there are better places.” – Rafael Nadal
68) “Just close your eyes and let’s pretend we’re dancing in the street in Barcelona.” – Ed Sheeran
69) “I loved everything about Spain – the people, the language, and the food!” – Karlie Kloss
70) “In Spain there’s the king – and then there’s Antonio.” – Melanie Griffith
71) “I’ve always said that playing rugby in Spain is like being a bullfighter in Japan.” – Javier Bardem
72) “That’s the only thing I’m jealous about ‘Game of Thrones’: they get to go to Spain all the time.” – Travis Fimmel
73) “If you come from Spain, you have to play football.” – Enrique Iglesias
74) “Moving to L.A. was hard. I had a career in Spain, and you have to forget your ego. I was a nobody again.” – Ana de Armas
75) “In Spain, actresses work until they are old. That’s my plan” – Penelope Cruz
76) “Every movie, I complicate. I make the hard choices. I remember when I was pitching ‘Pan’s Labyrinth:’ An anti-fascist fairy tale set in Civil War Spain, where the girl dies at the end. It’s not easy.” – Guillermo del Toro
Movie Quotes About Spain
Many US films have taken their production to the shores of sunny Spain and been wildly successful as a result. These movie quotes about Spain are a few you should add to your “must watch” list!
77) ‘No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!” – Monty Python
78) “Someday I’ll come back to you with a whole trunkful of clippings, and when you marry me, you’ll marry the first torero of Spain, not the second or third, but the first, the greatest!” – Blood and Sand
79) “You Spanish have a gift for hospitality when your guests are in chains.” – The Sea Hawk
80) “All my mother does is work. That’s how you get to be Spanish.” – Lone Star
81) “Vicky and Cristina decided to spend the summer in Barcelona. Vicky was completing her master’s in Catalan Identity, which she had become interested in through her great affection for the architecture of Gaudí. Cristina, who spent the last six months writing, directing, and acting in a 12-minute film which she then hated, had just broken up with yet another boyfriend and longed for a change of scenery. Everything fell into place when a distant relative of Vicky’s family who lived in Barcelona offered to put both girls up for July and August. The two best friends had been close since college and shared the same tastes and opinions on most matters, yet when it came to the subject of love, it would be hard to find two more dissimilar viewpoints.” – Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Did I miss out on any great quotes about Spain?
I searched high and low to compile this list of the best quotes about Spain. However, if I’ve missed any quotes that definitely deserve to be on the list, feel free to email me or reach out to me on my socials!
Planning a trip to Spain?
Spain is a second home of sorts to me, and a place I always recommend exploring to those heading to European shores. I have a lot of Spain blogs, guides and lists to check out, which will give you many ideas of things to do, places to see and hotels and Airbnb’s to stay in.
- The 20 Best Day Trips from Barcelona, Spain
- The 22 Best Airbnbs in Spain Across Cities, Islands & Villages
- The 19 Coolest & Best Airbnb’s in Madrid, Spain | Airbnb Madrid Guide
- 2 Days in Madrid | How to Spend 48 Hours Exploring Madrid
- 20 Music Festivals in Madrid to Experience Before You Die
- 12 Music Festivals in Spain To Experience Before You Die
- The Top 10 Best Things To Do in Barcelona, Spain
- 85+ Amazing Barcelona Quotes To Inspire Your Catalonia Adventure
- Fun and Interesting Facts about Barcelona, Spain
- The 25 Best Things To Do in Granada, Spain