Searching for the best Hawaii quotes and captions? I’ve compiled the ultimate list of the best words that paint a picture of this stunning state…
The beauty of Hawaii, the 50th state of the USA, is undeniable. With warm, Pacific waters lapping at picture perfect beaches, a fascinating culture and history and warm and welcoming locals, once you experience Hawaii – you’ll never want to leave.
Many of the following quotes capture that same sentiments, with writers, celebrities and lyricists all taking to paper to sum up their love of this beautiful chain of islands.
Say aloha to the best inspirational, funny and perfect quotes about Hawaii…
The Best Hawaii Quotes
There’s been many beautiful words written about Hawaii, but this selection are the cream of the crop…
1) “I can’t even speak Hawaiian, but if you go there and listen to a Hawaiian song, you get captured because it’s so beautiful, like the melody is just gorgeous and you know Bob Marley is on the radio every single day. It’s very reggae-influenced down there. Basically, you haven’t been to paradise if you haven’t been to Hawaii.” – Bruno Mars
2) “I can’t even speak Hawaiian, but if you go there and listen to a Hawaiian song, you get captured because it’s so beautiful, like the melody is just gorgeous and you know Bob Marley is on the radio every single day. It’s very reggae-influenced down there. Basically, you haven’t been to paradise if you haven’t been to Hawaii.” – Bruno Mars
3) “Nature is where it all begins for the Hawaiians. In fact, they call themselves keiki o ka aina ‘children of the land’.” – M.J. Harden
4) “Hawaii and Fiji are two of the best island groups in the world to visit as a vacationer. The great hotels, the fascinating local people, the exciting history of the two contrasting island groups, and the unmatched scenery make these two of the most enticing stopovers.” – James A. Michener
5) “I translate Hawaii as a place where people make sure I’m having a great time, eating terrific food, without any expectation of anything in return. It’s a place for people to be happy. It sounds corny, but in Hawaii, it’s not; it’s uncorny.” – Roy Choi
6) “Hawaii is still the single most frequent fantasy destination, not because of political stability or conveniences, but because Hawaii seduces the imagination. It’s the perfect postcard – no props, no filters.”– Robert Wintner
7) “Hawaii is like an isolated jewel set in the vastness of the Pacific Ocean. And like facets of a gem, the islands have their own unique qualities. Travellers who take the time to look beyond their obvious beauty will discover a chain of islands that is at once lush and stark, modern and ancient, simple and exotic.” – Rita Ariyoshi
8) “Hawaii is the only place in the fifty states where you can see the stars of the entire northern and southern hemispheres.” – John Richard Stephens
9) “That greeting is Aloha – love, I love you, my love to you. Good day – what is it more than an impersonal remark about the weather? How do you do – it is personal in a merely casual interrogative sort of way. But Aloha! It is a positive affirmation of the warmth of one’s own heart-giving. My love to you! I love you! Aloha!”- Jack London
10) “Come with me while the moon is on the sea / The night is young and so are we / Dreams come true in Blue Hawaii / And mine could all come true / This magic night of nights with you.” – Leo Robin
11) “Hawaii is such a wonderful, healing place for me. I feel so at ease with the natives and love the tranquility of the islands. It is a place to find inner peace and be one with nature.” – Camille Grammer
12) “Hawaiian music is the roots for the Hawaiian people. It tells the history of where we came from. Not having Hawaiian music in my life would be like losing half of my body… because Hawaiian music helps me to be a better person.” – Kevin Brown
13) “If you look at a map, you see that Hawaii is in the middle of nowhere. It’s 17 hours of straight flying from London. It’s very far away, and sometimes you feel as if you’re on another planet. But I like that. Also, that’s ideal for writing.” – Paul Theroux
14) “I went to Maui to stay a week and remained five. I never spent so pleasant a month before, or bade any place goodbye so regretfully. I have not once thought of business, or care or human toil or trouble or sorrow or weariness, and the memory of it will remain with me always.” – Mark Twain
15) “The Hawaiian people have been from time immemorial lovers of poetry and music, and have been apt in improvising historic poems, songs of love, and chants of worship.” – Lydia Kamekeha Luliuokalani
Short Hawaii Quotes
Sometimes the sweetest quotes are the most succinct, and these short Hawaii quotes say so much in so few words…
16) “Hawaii is paradise born of fire.” – Rand McNally
17) “Hawaii is the land of everyday rainbows.” – Anon
18) “Nature is where it all begins for the Hawaiians. In fact, they call themselves keiki o ka aina ‘children of the land’.” – M.J. Harden
19) “There is a quiet place in Hawaii where, for over thirty years, I’ve gone to draw inspiration and write many of my books.” – Robert H. Schuller
20) “My best vacation memory is getting barreled at the beach in Hawaii.” – Troy Polamalu
21) “Hawaii is not a state of mind, but a state of grace.” – Paul Theroux
22) “Beating the drums for Hawaii is not hard to do – the place just grows on you.” – James MacArthur
23) “Incredible as it might seem, Hawaii is like a gigantic raft, drifting slowly with the centuries.” – Terence Barrow
24) “You don’t have to live in Hawaii – or even be Hawaiian – to embrace the Aloha Spirit.” – Mark Ellman
25) “Whether a visitor or kama’aina (resident), the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands inspires the heart and mind.” – Anon
26) “One of the happiest times of my life, I lived in a tent on a porch on Hawaii.” – Diane Greene
27) “Hawaii is the only place I know where they lay flowers on you while you are alive.” – Will Rogers
28) “Hawaii is absolutely beautiful.” – Rachelle Lefevre
29) “Even the sweetness of a freshly cut pineapple from Hawaii is a sermon.”- J.A. Medders
30) “Being in Hawaii, it’s almost impossible not to be fit, I think.”- Henry Ian Cusick
31) “No one has family in Hawaii. Everyone is family in Hawaii.”- Richie Norton
32) “Hula is the language of the heart and, therefore, the heartbeat of the Hawaiian people.”- King David Kalakaua
Inspiring Hawaii Quotes
Few destinations are more inspirational than Hawaii, and these Hawaii quotes are both inspirational and motivational…
33) “Whether a visitor or kama’aina (resident), the beauty of the Hawaiian Islands inspires the heart and mind.” – Anon
34) “In Hawaii, we have something called Ho’oponopono, where people come together to resolve crises and restore peace and balance.” – Duane Chapman
35) “I love to lounge, and I particularly love to eat outdoors. It’s a throwback to my childhood in Hawaii. I have memories of coming out of the sea and eating corn chips with a strawberry vanilla slush.” – Marie Helvin
36) “Hawaii is the island of big dreams for both islanders and guests. Those dreams born in paradise can indeed come true.” – Sharon Linnea
37) “May there always be Tradewinds behind you, Rainbows above you, and Aloha all around you.” – Kauai Blessing
38) “Everywhere I went in the wild corners of Hawaii, I found that the biology was as astonishing as the beauty. The landscapes have value beyond the enchantment of a waterfall or the surreal drama of an expanse of slick rock with bits of green life taking hold. Exploring these islands intrigues the mind and stirs the imagination, for nature in Hawaii is at her most inventive and extravagant best.” – Cynthia Russ Ramsay
39) “The band would play on the night off for the local hotel bands and we’d back all the different acts. So I’d been advised by good friends of mine to come back to Hawaii. Oh, I loved Honolulu, playing at a place right on the beach at Waikiki!” – Martin Denny
40) “Well, filming in Hawaii, you know, is a blessing. It’s one of the most beautiful places on this planet. It has a very mystic energy which informs you as an actor.” – Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
41) “For me personally, snorkeling in a cove in Hawaii, floating along, and looking at all the animals and the colors – I mean, that’s pretty peaceful.” – Stephen Hillenburg
42) “Hawaii is at once like everything you dreamed it would be and totally unlike anything you imagined. It is both a tropical paradise and a cosmopolitan boom town, a place where the old island gods still hold sway and where speculators and builders and real-estate men have been riding high. It is one of the most fascinating paradoxes of old and new, of beauty and razzle- dazzle, of serenity and show business anywhere.” – George McDonald
43) “The only good thing about leaving Hawaii is that you really appreciate it when you return.” – John Richard Stephens
44) “Kauai is my place where I go to get centred. It’s always my place to come back and feel normal again.” – Alana Blanchard
45) “Growing up here in Hawaii, I loved swimming, surfing and having fun in this paradise we are lucky to call home. But I gradually realised that I was actually happiest when I was doing things for other people, doing things to protect our water, oceans and beaches.”– Tulsi Gabbard
Celebrity Hawaii Quotes
The stars love to escape to Hawaii for relaxation and inspiration, and these celebrity quotes about Hawaii capture the spirit of this beautiful state.
46) “Hawaii is paradise. It sounds cheesy to say it, but there’s music in the air there.” – Bruno Mars
47) “I can’t even speak Hawaiian, but if you go there and listen to a Hawaiian song, you get captured because it’s so beautiful, like the melody is just gorgeous and you know Bob Marley is on the radio every single day. It’s very reggae-influenced down there. Basically, you haven’t been to paradise if you haven’t been to Hawaii.” – Bruno Mars
48) “The beauty of Hawaii probably surpasses other places. I like the Big Island and the two mountains, Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, where you can look out at the stars.” – Buzz Aldrin
49) “Most of what Hawaii has to offer is no secret. Pipeline is probably the most famous wave in the world.” – Kelly Slater
50) “Chasing kids on the beach and sleeping is the closest I come to exercising while in Hawaii.” – Adam Scott
51) “I had never been to Hawaii, and now I say that my body is from L.A. but my heart is from Hawaii, because I’m in love with it and it’s home on every level, from a spiritual, soulful place.” – Shailene Woodley
52) “I love to be in Hawaii – everything very natural, and my style reflects that.” – Colbie Caillat
53) “I have always been proud to have been born in Hawaii.” – Barack Obama
54) “Eventually, I want to move to Hawaii and chill forever.” – Riley Keough
55) “Hawaii is the best form of comfort for me. When I die, I want to be cremated, and I want half my ashes spread in the Pacific around the island, the rest on the property.” – Richard Pryor
Funny Hawaii Quotes
Cheeky and hilarious, these are some of the most funny Hawaii quotes out there…
56) “Dress in Hawaii is like the Hawaiian lifestyle-casual and laid-back. Almost everyone, from grandparents to preschoolers, swears by plastic flip-flops.” – Jessica Lane Lucier
57) “Hawaii is so boring because it’s always sunny.” – Daniel Dae Kim
58) “Hawaii can be heaven and it can be hell.” – Jeff Goldblum
59) “I always wanted to film ‘Biggest Loser’ in Hawaii. We could call it, ‘Come on I wanna weigh you.’” – Caroline Rhea
Hawaii Instagram Quotes & Captions
Need the perfect caption or quote to accompany that stunning Hawaii travel pic? These are the best Instagram quotes and captions about Hawaii.
60) After all, Hawaii is the best land. / O Hawaii no ka aina maikai. – Hawaiian Proverb
61) I left my heart in Hawaii.
62) You had me at Aloha.
63) Oahu doin’?
64) I lava Hawaii.
65) A pineapple a day keeps the worries away.
66) Find me under the palms.
67) I can’t wait to Maui you.
Hawaii Movie Quotes
Hawaii is the perfect landscape for a great movie, and has appeared in many. These are some of the best movie quotes about Hawaii.
68) “Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind.” – Lilo & Stitch
69) “Chuck: Chuck’s my mainland name, my Hawaiian name’s Koodu. Peter Bretter: Oh sorry. Chuck: Its cool, its all good. Peter Bretter: So does Koodu have some cool Hawaiian meaning? Chuck: It means Chuck.” – Forgetting Sarah Marshall
70) “My friends on the mainland think just because I live in Hawaii, I live in paradise. Like a permanent vacation. We’re all just out here sipping Mai Tais, shaking our hips, and catching waves. Are they insane?” – The Descendants
71) “You’re the state idiot of Hawaii.” – 50 First Dates
72) “What’s the state fish of Hawaii? Humuhumunukunukuapua’a. Yeah, bitch.” – Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Hawaii Song Lyrics
The beautiful landscape of Hawaii has inspired so many hit songs. These are just a few of the best Hawaii song lyrics.
73) “Smell the sea and feel the sky. Let your soul and spirit fly.” – Van Morrison
74) “I heard about all the pretty girls / With their grass skirts down to their knees / All my life I wanted to see / The island called Hawaii.” – Hawaii, The Beach Boys
75) “The 50th state, what? Hawaii.” – Hawaii, The Strokes
76) “Mele Kalikimaka is the thing to say / On a bright Hawian Christmas Day / That’s the island greeting that we send to you / From the land where palm trees sway.” – Mele Kalikimaka, Bing Crosby
77) “Like Hawaii in the winter / Like Hawaii in the fall / Like Hawaii spring or summer / It’s Hawaii after all.” – Hawaii, Bijou Philips
78) “Lovely you / And blue Hawaii / With all this loveliness / There should be love.” – Blue Hawaii, Elvis Presley
Did I miss any of the best Hawaii quotes?
There’s so many great quotes about Hawaii, that I may have missed one or two. Do you know a top Hawaii quote that didn’t make the cut? Send it through and I’ll add it on!
Need Hawaii travel inspiration?
Planning your own Hawaii travel itinerary? Check out the rest of my Hawaii content for ideas on what to see, do and experience in the 50th state.
- The 17 Best Oahu Airbnbs For An Amazing Hawaii Vacation
- The 22 Coolest Airbnbs In Hawaii
- 17 Fun Cultural & Music Festivals For The Bucket List
- The 15 Best Airbnbs In Maui For Sun, Surf & Serenity
- The Ultimate 7 Day Maui Itinerary
- 13 Amazing Beach Vacation Airbnbs In Honolulu
- Where To Stay In Maui
- The 14 Best Kauai Airbnbs For A Garden Isle Getaway
Final thoughts on Hawaii quotes…
I’ve compiled many a quotes list, and Hawaii really has some of the best. I myself love Hawaii and have written extensively about it, and you should start planning your own trip to the 50th state!