Planning a trip to the Bali and the Gili Islands in Indonesia and curious to learn about the magic mushrooms here!? Well, you’ve come to the right place, because I’ve put together this fun little guide to help you make the most of your trip here! You can find magic mushrooms in Bali, Gili Trawangan, and Gili Air, and they can really make for an epic experience in paradise!
Now imagine this – it’s your first time to Gili Trawangan. You’ve just gotten off the speed boat, already almost got trampled by a horse cart, and you’re on your way to your booked accommodation. On the brief walk, a strange local guy asks if you want some “magic mushrooms”? You don’t know what to think.
Aren’t drugs extremely illegal in Indonesia? That’s what it says in the Indonesia Lonely Planet book at least, and you’ve heard terrible things about that while reading about Bali & Lombok.
The answer is yes, you really don’t want to be messing around with any drugs during your visit to Indonesia! People are arrested all the time in Bali just for smoking a joint, and they face years and years in Jail. Seriously, run away from anyone who’s trying to sell you marijuana while you’re visiting Bali!
With that being said, however, the Gili Islands in Indonesia are known to be somewhat of a safe haven for magic mushroom use. There’s not really a police presence here (although they do have their own Island Security), but I’ve never heard of anyone getting arrested for using magic mushrooms on Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, or Gili Air!
When it comes to magic mushrooms in Indonesia, I’ll never forget the first time I walked past a bar that had a sign out front that reads:
“WE HAVE SUPER DUPER MEGA RADICAL FUCKING BLOODY GOOD MAGIC MUSHROOMS”
I never would have expected they would be so open about it! Magic Mushrooms are NOT legal in Indonesia, but that’s what makes the Gili Islands so strange. When you come here, these rules just don’t really apply. As always, you still want to be “careful”, but as long as you’re not a complete idiot, you won’t get in any trouble. You will find tons of different shops openly selling them, and will probably even encounter a group of young backpackers giggling uncontrollably while watching the sunset one evening!
“The Mushroom Shake”
Before I had came to Asia, I had never heard of people taking magic mushrooms in “shake” form before! I had only heard about them being eaten or brewed into a tea.
Well, in most parts of South-East Asia where magic mushrooms are sold, they are almost always sold as mushroom shakes! This just means they take the mushrooms, and blend them together with ice, watermelon, pineapple, and sometimes coca-cola. Every place has its own way of making them.
Mushrooms shakes tend not to taste all that great though, but it’s basically just an easier and more effective way to consume them and have your body digest them properly.
Some bars who sell magic mushroom shakes on Gili Trawangan and Gili Air offer different varieties of “strength”. If it’s your first time, I would recommend just starting off with the standard size.
From my personal experience – one mushroom shake is enough for a solid hallucinogenic trip! After an hour or two, if you’re having a blast and are comfortable with how the drugs are doing, you could always have another 1/2 shake to intensify the effects!
“I’ve never taken Mushrooms before, should I try them here?”
In my honest opinion – I think this is one of the best places to try them out! The mushrooms on Gili Trawangan and Gili Air are incredibly fun, and will show you a damn good time! There are plenty of quiet areas to relax with friends, watch the sunset, and have a pleasant trip.
With that being said — hallucinogens aren’t for everyone. You need to make sure you are in a good place in your life. If you are extremely stressed out or depressed about something then I would advise against it.
My opinion on them is that they basically just turn you into a dumb baby for 3 hours, lol. You’ll laugh a lot, things look a lot more vibrant, and you’ll have a glowing feeling of Euphoria.
If you’re nervous about experimenting with magic mushrooms, start off by taking 1/2 a shake. You’ll experience some very subtle hallucinations, and will have a bit of a head change – but it won’t be overwhelming at all. Then if you’re enjoying the trip, you can then chug down another 1/2 shake to intensify the effects you’re already feeling!
Magic Mushrooms Tips and Advice
- Consume mushrooms in a small/medium sized group of people. It’s better with a more intimate setting, and especially with people you enjoy being around and trust.
- Get away from the crowds. I really don’t like being at a club setting, or busy streets while feeling the effects of mushrooms. It can be sensory overload and cause you to stress. It’s best to find a cool and quiet area to relax and hang out at.
- MUSIC IS KEY TO A GOOD NIGHT. Whether it’s some chill reggae music, groovy deep house, or throwback oldies — you need to be listening to some music during your trip. Nothing can trigger more bad vibes than an aggressive EDM remix of a Rihanna track.
- Watch the Sunset. Take them an hour or so before the sunsets, and it’ll be the perfect way to start the trip.
- Stay Hydrated. Drink a decent amount of water, but don’t be afraid to have a beer as well.
- Don’t eat right before you take them. It’s suggested you take them on an empty stomach, but it’s okay to have some food in there. But if you eat right before, you probably won’t feel them.
Gili Islands Magic Mushrooms Accommodation Tip
STAY AT AN AIRBNB | If you’re traveling with a group of friends or significant other, I think one of the best ways to experience a Magic Mushroom trip would be able to have your own private area to relax, laugh, and enjoy before/during/after the trip at an Airbnb!
There are tons of amazing Airbnb villas all over Gili Trawangan & Gili Air that have private pools, comfortable accommodation, and affordable rates. It can provide a great peace of mind knowing you can go back to your own private villa, be as loud as you want, control your own music, etc. Here is a couple that would be absolutely perfect to enjoy a magic mushroom trip at on Gili Trawangan:
- Serene Beach Stargaze Villa with garden view
- Wooden style villa 1BD in paradise island
- Villa Anoe 17 Gili Trawangan with Private Pool
- Serene Sunset Beach Villa
Gili Trawangan Mushrooms
Where can I buy mushrooms on Gili Trawangan?
- If you’re staying at Gili Castle (formerly known as Gili Backpackers), then just ask the staff or bartenders. There’s plenty of options, but they can point you to the best place.
- Rudy’s Pub. I’m not sure if they are still selling them, but I guarantee someone there can help you out. I’ve bought mushrooms from them in the past!
- Sunset Bar (pictured below). If you’re walking from the main jetty to to the sunset side, you’ll stumble upon this small bar on the beach. They don’t have a magic mushroom sign up, but the staff will be able to hook you up with some psychadelic fun! It’s also the perfect place to take them, watch the sunset, and listen to their music. They were playing a solid selection of Bob Marley the last time I was there!
Magic Mushrooms on GILI AIR
Where do I buy mushrooms on Gili Air?
- Stay at Bedang Backpackers. They’ve got a mushroom-shaped pool. Ask the staff there, and they can point you to the best spot!
- Pretty much every bar on the sunset side can arrange mushroom shakes
- If you are near Matahari Lodge…walk down the street (away from the beach) towards the other side of the island, and there’s a bar that play PsyTrance. Get them there!
Magic Mushrooms in Bali
Where can I buy magic mushrooms in Bali…?
So this is more tricky of a situation because the laws are much more strict on Bali! I do know of ONE PLACE IN SANUR where it’s safe to buy them and consume them, but I’m not going to publish it online. Feel free to shoot me a message on Instagram, username: JonesAroundTheWorld , and I’ll hook you up with the information!
2019 Update: Unfortunately, the place I knew of in Bali (and had personally bought magic mushrooms) is no longer open. The only option I’m currently aware of is to buy them from the sketchy dealers around Kuta (but I wouldn’t personally recommend that). It is possible to get them, and I’ve had some Instagram followers message me and told me they managed to get them just fine, but I’d exercise extreme caution. My best advice would be to just head to Gili Trawangan & Gili Air for your hallucinogenic adventures in Indonesia!
Mushrooms in Indonesia are illegal, but when you come to the Gili Islands — you’ll definitely be offered them once or twice. I would recommend them if you want to have a good time, laugh a lot, and expand your brain a bit.
Safe travels, and enjoy your trip…
” TO THE MOON AND BACK “
Traveling through Indonesia…?
I’ve written tons of other awesome articles about this amazing country and would love for you to check them out as well. As always…feel free to email me with any questions about anything you’ve read on the site! I’m happy to help any way I can. :-)
- The Ultimate Travel Guide to Bali [Instagram Checklist]
- 10 Amazing Things to do in Uluwatu, Indonesia
- The 5 Best Places to Trip on Magic Mushrooms in Southeast Asia
- The Best Music Festivals in Bali, Indonesia
- One Week in Bali: The Best Travel Itinerary
- The 7 Best Music Festivals in Bali
Disclaimer: Drugs have a different effect on everyone, so you need to be careful. I’m not writing this to convince or persuade anyone into taking them. I’m simply informing those who are interested in the subject and want some more information and advice.
Check out this fun YouTube vlog about Magic Mushrooms in Indonesia
Traveling Long Term…? Get Insurance!
As a travel blogger and digital nomad who travels pretty much full-time, I was absolutely stoked when I heard about this travel insurance company called SafetyWing! It’s the world’s first International Travel Medical Insurance developed to meet the needs of entrepreneurs, long-term travelers/backpackers, and remote workers traveling or living abroad worldwide.
Getting sick or injured abroad can be one of the scariest things in the world, and I’m happy that SafetyWing has finally affordable a reliable and affordable travel insurance package. Traveling around Bali & Southeast Asia can be really dangerous (especially for those who rent scooters), so you want to make sure you’re protected!
Personally, for me – it’s absolutely perfect! It only costs $37*/ 4 weeks, which is 1/3rd price compared to the biggest competitor for similar coverage! But it’s also completely reliable, as SafetyWing is a Y-Combinator company and the policy is administered by Tokio Marine, one of the largest insurance companies in the world.