Trying to get from Bali to the Gili Islands ? Here’s how…
The Gili Islands are easily my favorite part about coming to Bali. Which I probably shouldn’t say, because they are actually just off the northwestern coast of Lombok. However, most people head to the Gili’s from Bali. Here’s a little information for those of you planning a trip.
The hostel I stayed at in Sanur offers round-trip for 600,000 IDR (Around $51). I knew I could get a slightly better deal than that, so I started walking around to all the different shops that offer transportation. Pretty much every major city on Bali will have tons of different tourist desks hassling you about daily trips, scuba diving, and transportation options.
I ended up booking with Marina Srikandi, which I would highly recommend. I paid 525,000 IDR (Around $43). The price includes hotel pick-up / drop services, open return ticket, and the fastest transportation to the Gili Islands.
All of the ferries leave from Padang Bai, which is not really close to anything spectacular, so all of the companies include the hotel pick-up from Kuta, Seminyak, Uluwatu, Ubud, and Sanur.
I honestly probably could have even gotten a better deal, but we ended up deciding to book last-minute at 9 P.M the night before we wanted to leave.
The crazy thing is that I’ve seen advertisements on flyers offering one-way transport for 666,000 IDR! Which is absolutely insane. You have to remember, that while out in Asia — people will try to take advantage of the fact that you are a tourist, and don’t know typical prices.
- BE SMART. Shop around, and find the best deals.
- Check out options of only buying one-way transport. I have heard of people getting better deals when they book their tickets individually (which I find strange, but it happens)
- Never pay more than 525,000 IDR for round-trip transportation included hotel pick-up and drop-off services.
- Pack light, and maybe leave your bigger backpack /suitcase on Bali
- Don’t underestimate the power of the Gili Islands. They are beautiful, and can be hard to leave them.